The Women's Auxiliary Board of Summit County Children Services was the first auxiliary in the nation for a public welfare agency. Formed in 1948, under the leadership of then superintendent Hilda Marvel and civic leaders Betty Jaycox and Eleanor Voke, more than 100 women were recruited who were committed to bettering the lives of children served by the agency. That commitment is still strong to the more than 80 members today. The WAB is dedicated to enriching the lives of the abused, neglected, and dependent children who come under the care and custody of Summit County Children Services.
“These Children Are Our Children” are the words these women live by. Membership in WAB is open to any woman who subscribes to the mission and is committed to helping the children of Summit County. For information on becoming a member, contact Mary Lou Rosinski at (330) 688-3595.
Download the Women's Auxiliary Board brochure.
Examples of the Women’s Auxiliary Board Volunteer Work and Projects
- The Women’s Auxiliary Board provides pajamas, undergarments, and socks for children in the care of the agency.
- The WAB supports the need for cleaning supplies to families served by the agency, the Father Factor graduations and toyroom shopping for Dads.
- Each year, members participate in the “Hanging of the Greens” where they decorate the agency for the holidays. Members also serve as volunteer in the agency Toy Room.
- Members put together monthly craft kits for parents to do with their children while at the agency’s Family Interaction Center.
- The Women’s Board hosts a Rummage Sale in the fall to raise funds for many of its projects that benefit children and families.
- The Women’s Auxiliary Board also financially supports the agency’s Beds for Kids Program. The group has given more than $40,000 within the past year to purchase beds, cribs, sheets, blankets, and pillows for children in care. Hundreds of children have received a bed or crib as a result of this program.
- Members of WAB volunteer at numerous agency events throughout the year, including Summit for Kids held annually in August.
The WAB also actively seeks grant funding from community foundations and other local funding sources to financially support a variety of projects and programs to benefit the children and families served by Summit County Children Services.
2018-2019 WAB Officers
- Jen Thames - President
- Mary Ann Sayre - First Vice President
- Bev VanderVeen - Second Vice President
- Linda Jones - Recording Secretary
- Annette Breit - Corresponding Secretary
- Karen Davis - Treasurer
For more information about the Women's Auxiliary Board of Summit County Children Services, please call (330) 379-1994.