Kinship Care Where to Obtain Vital Records

Where to Obtain Vital Records

Here’s a list of resources for access to the various vital records you will need as a kinship caregiver as you care for your family members.

In order to obtain birth and death certificates, you will need the individual’s full name, place of birth or death (city, county, and state), and full date of birth or death.

For individuals who were born or have died in Summit County, birth and death certificates can be obtained from:

Summit County Public Health Vital Statistics Office
1867 West Market Street
Akron, Ohio 44313
PHONE: (330) 812-3845
Hours of Operation: Monday and Thursday, 8 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.
Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday, 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.


Birth and death certificates can be ordered online at:

NOTE: Birth and death certificates are available from the year 1909-Present.

For individuals who were born or who have died within the State of Ohio, birth and death certificates can be obtained from:

The Ohio Department of Health
246 North High Street
Columbus, OH 43216-0118
PHONE: (614) 466-2531
Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday, 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.


Birth and death certificates can be ordered online at:

NOTE: The State’s website will contain contact information for County locations throughout the State.

Copies of social security cards can be obtained at one of the following locations:

Social Security Administration (two locations):

Federal Building
2 S. Main Street
Akron, OH 44308
PHONE: (330) 375-5790


United Chemical Worker’s Building
2166 Romig Rd.
Akron, OH 44320
PHONE: (330) 375-5830

Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. (both locations)
National Telephone Number: (800) 772-1213 (7 a.m.-7 p.m.)

Some documents that can be accepted as proof of identity are:

  • Driver’s license
  • Marriage or divorce record
  • Military records
  • Employer ID card
  • Adoption record
  • Insurance policy
  • Passport
  • Health insurance card (not a Medicare card)
  • School ID card

For children, some documents that can be accepted as proof of identity include:

  • Immunization record
  • School record (report card, ID card, etc.)
  • Religious record (e.g., baptismal certificate)

Immunization records (also known as “shot records,” or “vaccines”) are required for your child to be enrolled in school.

In order to obtain your child’s immunization records, contact your child’s past and present physician or your local health department. If your child is of school age, the board of education or your child’s past and present school, may have your child’s immunization records.

If your child received immunizations through your county health department, you may be able to obtain immunization records through a computer program called IMPACT, the Children’s Immunization Network (provided by the Ohio Department of Health). IMPACT will keep track of your child’s shot records and will call you when the next shot is due. The service is FREE and will help keep your child healthy.

This free service provides all Ohio parents with:

  • Names of doctors and clinics nearest to your neighborhood who give shots
  • Your child’s shot records whenever you need it
  • A reminder about your child’s next shot date
  • Instant answers about childhood diseases
    The IMPACT system can be reached at (800) 946-6863, 24-hours a day. It features information on the dates and types of shots your child has received.
Support Our Mission

Learn how you can help advance the mission of Summit County Children Services

Foster or Adopt

With nearly 800 children in our custody, SCCS relies on the selflessness of our community to foster or adopt children in need.

Volunteer or Donate

We have year-round activities the success of which is dependent on the generosity of our community.

Diversity, Equity and Inclusion

Get the latest information about SCCS activities toward Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.

Subscribe to SCCS Publications