The purpose of the Post Adoption Special Services Subsidy (PASSS) is to assist Ohio families after the finalization of their adoption. The subsidy is available to all adoptive families, with the the exception of step parent adoptions, regardless of the type of adoption (international, attorney, public or private agency). The child does not have to meet either the federal or state definition of special needs. Each child may be eligible for up to $10,000 per year ($15,000 if residential treatment is recommended by a qualified professional). In order to qualify for PASSS the following criteria must be met:
- The child must have a special need consisting of a physical, developmental, mental, or emotional condition.
- The child's special need must have existed before the adoption was finalized or can be attributed to a pre-adoptive condition.
- The child is less than 18 years of age (or is less than 21 years of age and mentally or physically handicapped).
- The family has explored other sources of assistance, but the resources are inadequate or are not availabe to meet the needs of the child
- The expenses are beyond the economic resources of the the adoptive family
- The child is not in the custody of a Public Children Services Agency (PCSA).
- The family resides in the state of Ohio.
CLICK HERE FOR THE 2017-2018 PASSS APPLICATION PACKET.
There is no fixed income limit for PASSS. The main concern is if the service your child requires is beyond the family's ability to provide. Therefore, even if you have a good income, if the cost of service is beyond your economic resources, you may be able to receive assistance. PASSS is intended to pay for services not covered under other adoption subsidy programs, insurance programs or Medicaid. PASSS funds my be used to cover medical or psychological servcies that are deemed necessary to meet the needs of the child. Respite care and the maintenance costs of residential treatment programs may also be covered under the PASSS program. PASSS will not cover educational services, camps, or dental services/orthodontia.
Each Public Children Services Agency (PCSA) has a PASSS committee which reviews each application that is submitted. If the committee requires more information you may be asked to submit additional documentation. The PASSS committee makes a recommendation to the public children services agency director who then approves or denies the application. The family is notified in writing of the decision. If you are not in agreement with the decision regarding your PASSS application you may apply for a state hearing.
For additional information or to request a PASSS application packet. Please be mailed, please call the PASSS Inquiry LIne at (330) 375-1674.