24-Hour Child Abuse and Neglect
(330) 434-KIDS (5437)

Summit County
Children Services

264 S. Arlington St.
Akron, OH 44306
Phone: 330.379.9094
Fax: 330.379.1901
Hearing Impaired: ORS 7-1-1

Kinship Care - Where to Obtain Vital Records

Birth & Death Certificates
Social Security Cards
Immunizations Records

Birth & Death Certificates

In order to obtain birth and death certificates, you will need the individual’s full name, place of birth or death (city, county, and state), and full date of birth or death.

For individuals who were born, or have died, in Summit County, birth and death certificates can be obtained from:  


Summit County Health Department Vital Statistics
368 S. Main Street
Akron, OH 44311
PHONE: (330) 812-3846
Hours of Operation: Monday and Thursday, 8 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.
                              Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday, 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.


Birth and death certificates can be ordered online at: http://scphoh.org/PROGRAMS/BirthDeathCert.html.

 NOTE:  Birth and death certificates are available from the year 1909-Present.

For individuals who were born, or who have died, within the State of Ohio, birth and death certificates can be obtained from:


The Ohio Department of Health
246 North High Street
Columbus, OH 43216-0118
PHONE: (614) 466-2531
Hours of Operation: Monday - Friday, 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.


Birth and death certificates can be ordered online at:   www.odh.ohio.gov/vs


         NOTE: The State's web site will contain contact information for the County locations
         throughout the State.


Social Security Cards

Copies of social security cards can be obtained at one of the following locations:

Social Security Administration (two locations): 


Federal Building
2 S. Main Street
Akron, OH 44308
PHONE: (330) 375-5790


United Chemical Worker’s Building
1655 W. Market Street
Akron, OH 44313
PHONE: (330) 375-5830 

          Hours of Operation: Monday - Friday 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. (both locations)
          National Telephone Number: (800) 772-1213 (7 a.m.-7 p.m.)

Some documents that can be accepted as proof of identity are:


Driver's license
Marriage or divorce record
Military records
Employer ID card
Adoption record
Insurance policy
Health insurance card (not a Medicare card)
School ID card

For children, some documents that can be accepted as proof of identity include:

Immunization record
School record (report card, ID card, etc.)
Religious record (e.g., baptismal certificate)

Immunization Records

Immunization records (also known as "shot records," or "vaccines") are required in order for your child to be enrolled in school.

In order to obtain your child’s immunization records, contact your child’s past and present physician or your local health department. If your child is of school age, the board of education, or your child’s past and present school, may have your child’s immunization records.

If your child received immunizations through your county health department, you may be able to obtain immunization records through a computer program called IMPACT, the Children's Immunization Network (provided by the Ohio Department of Health). IMPACT will keep track of your child's shot records and will call you when the next shot is due. The service is FREE and will help keep your child healthy.

This free service provides all Ohio parents with:


Names of doctors and clinics nearest to your neighborhood who give shots
Your child's shot records whenever you need it
A reminder about your child's next shot date
Instant answers about childhood diseases


The IMPACT system can be reached at (800) 946-6863, 24-hours a day. It features information on the dates and types of shots your child has received.