Summit County Children Services offers a number of post-adoption services. These services are open to anyone who has adopted through the agency or lives in Summit County (PASSS applicants must live in the county in which they apply for PASSS funds). For additional information or to request a PASSS application be mailed, please call the PASSS Inquiry Line at (330) 375-1674.
Below is a short description of the post-adoption services available and links to additional information:
- Information, support and referral: Adoptive parents can contact the agency to talk with a post-adoption specialist. Information about adoption issues and parenting can be shared. Adoptive parents who feel overwhelmed or frustrated often feel relieved when they discover that there are other families experiencing some of the same challenges as them as well as finding that there is help available. The post-adoption specialist can refer the family to professionals in the community who have experience in working with adoptive families.
- PASSS (Post Adoption Special Services Subsidy): PASSS is a state funded subsidy program that provides families with funds for services that help maintain children in their adoptive homes. Examples of services that may be covered by PASSS include counseling, attachment therapy, respite, occupational therapy, and speech therapy. Families who reside in Summit County and have an adopted child under the age of 18 are eligible to apply for PASSS. Families living outside of Summit County should apply for PASSS funds in their county of residence. The application process can be initiated by contacting Kelly Aloisi. Funding is approved for the entire State Fiscal Year (July 1 - June 30) so families must reapply for funding each State Fiscal Year.
.CLICK HERE FOR THE 2017-2018 PASSS APPLICATION PACKET
- Support Groups: Summit County Children Services hosts an Adoption Support Group Meeting the second Tuesday of each month, 6-8 p.m. Meetings are held at the agency's Education Center, 264 S. Arlington Street, Akron. Relevant topics in the field of adoption are discussed. Child care is provided - advance registration in required by call (330) 375-1675. A Potluck Dinner is always served; families are encouraged to bring a side dish to share.
- Other subsidies: State and Federal Maintenance subsidies provide a monthly stipend to families. These are meant to assist with the cost of adding an adopted child to the family. These subsidies are available to many families that adopt waiting children through Summit County Children Services. A Nonrecurring Adoption Expenses Subsidy is meant to help with one-time expenses directly related to the legal adoption of a child with special needs (ie: court costs, transportation costs, etc.)
- Post Adoption Inquiries: Adult adoptees adopted through Summit County Children Services may request non-identifying information about their pre-adoptive history and their birth families. For more information regarding this type of request contact Polly Daher at (330) 379-1898, email@example.com.